PREPARING FOR A BACKCOUNTRY HUNT
Above, Coach Jake Saenz outlines what an annual training calendar looks like for the back country hunter.
It is important to understand that:
- Backcountry hunting is an endurance endeavor and the training for it should reflect that.
- Training should move from general to specific as the year progresses.
- The primary focus should be on improving aerobic capacity and development of the aerobic energy system.
- This development should be done through low intensity load bearing activities for most athletes.
- The secondary focus should be building general strength. The type of strength training depends on the athlete and available equipment.
Any program that has a strength component, limited high intensity work, and a focus on aerobic capacity will work well for the general blocks.
January: Barbell Strength Protocol + Foundation
February: Dumbell Hypertrophy Protocol + Foundation
March: Strength Endurance Protocol Phase 1 + Foundation 2
April: Weapon X + Foundation 2
May: Goliath + The Bridge
June: Ultimate Predator Phase 1
July: Ultimate Predator Phase 2
August: The Ultimate Predator Phase 3