Dates: February 26-27
Location: Austin, Texas
The 2nd event in the competence series, the Vanguard takes a deeper look into the skillsets that make you more of an asset to your family, friends, and community.
Along with reinforcing the primary skills taught in The Awakening, this event adds training blocks that are unfamiliar and uncomfortable to many individuals.
The Vanguard gives attendees an opportunity to step away from technology and and unplug for the weekend as they learn new skills, meet new people, and camp out under the stars.
2022 Updates and Specifics
It’s been a few years since we’ve done the Vanguard and there are a few changes to the event, specifically the venue for logistical reasons. Below is a list of specific information about this year’s event.
- We’ll have a meet and greet Friday evening at 8pm. It’s not mandatory.
- There will be camping available in a rural area for both Friday and Saturday nights. Participants are allowed to camp for free both nights. You may also stay at your own place if local or a hotel if coming from out of town.
- Saturday evening there will be a bonfire and whiskey for all attendees.
- Confirmed blocks as of 1/3: Land Navigation, Striking, Butchery, Trauma Management, Defensive Pistol, Low Light Shooting.
- Each participant will get a gift bag of goodies.
Below are the modules we’ve done in the past, they vary year to year based on instructor availability
- Defensive Pistol
- Defensive Rifle
- Land Navigation
- Obstacle Course
- Edged Weapons
- Trauma management
- Team based Night Event
- Small game Butchery (Rabbits / Chickens)
- Medium Game Butchery (Feral Hogs)
- Low Light Run and Gun
Is this event for men only?
No, this is a co-ed event. We’ve had women come the past two events and they crushed it.
Do I need a Pistol?
Yes, a defensive pistol such as a Glock, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, and a Sig 226 are all examples of good pistols to bring. Do not bring a revolver. Don’t have a pistol? You will need to go buy one, or borrow one.
Do I need a Rifle?
I’m just a beginner, is this course appropriate for me?
The blocks of instruction are meant to be 90 minute “primers” to introduce you to the fundamental concepts of each subject. They are meant for novice level athletes. If you are a Purple Belt in BJJ then you won’t learn too much in the grappling portion, likewise if you are a competitive shooter the pistol portion will be mostly a review.
If I sign up but cannot attend what happens? Is there a return policy?
- 60+ days = 100% refund
- 30 – 60 days = 50% refund
- < 30 days = 25% refund
- < 14 days = 0% refund
Do I have to attend each event?
Event participation is voluntary. If you are smoked, or choose to skip one of the blocks that is fine.